The road home

It has been a very long time since I have written anything for a blog. It is amazing how many things can change in a year and it is hard to believe that nearly a year has passed since Tara, Heather and I moved into our little house.
I remember moving in. It was a very chaotic experience. Moving always is. But to make matters worse, that was also the week I worked 55 hours, completed a large homework assignment, was sick, and played music for my cousins wedding. Looking back on it now, I don't remember a lot of specifics, only that the house was a mess, and I was tired. I was tired and sickish for the next month. I also spent a lot of time crying and wondering if things would eventually get better...
It seemed like things would never settle into any sort of normal. At work we were busy trying to implement a new software system that just plain out didn't work. We didn't have enough merchandise, placing orders was a long and painful ordeal, taking calls from frustrated customers and apologizing every time we turned around had become a lifestyle.
At home things were working better than they had in a long time. However, in the process of becoming well, there was the discovery of all that was wrong. Sometimes the road to redemption is long, so long....


But slowly things started to get better. I woke up each day to a fresh misty morning, a new sunrise, and quietness. I would pray as I drove to work and thank God for the beautiful rolling hills, a good job, a boss who cared about me, and co-workers who did all they could to make settling in okay. They threw me a housewarming party and brought lots of gifts. I felt humbled, and loved.




Summer started into fall and I realized I need to take some time just to think and process all of the change instead of trying to go, go, go - all of the time. So I began the process of finding out if I could take a month off from school. I also began to purposely spend more time with friends from church. I felt like I had suddenly woken up and realized a need to have community, and friends. I was tired of being buried in homework. The last two months of school had been overwhelming. (Algebra never was my favorite subject.)


I took the pictures above and below one day on a long walk. The field is the one my driveway runs through, the woods is at the park in Kidron. I found God in the quiet - or maybe He found me - either way, my heart began to feel a connection with Him that hadn't been there in a long time. I found that I was able to connect to people much better as well. 



Autumn was beautiful.



It's true; and it was quite liberating to discover!



Life started to feel okay. My house was cozy. I had new friends at church; people who actually meant what they said when they asked how I was - they weren't only asking out of a gossiping curiosity. 

Embracing humility is scary. For me it meant being vulnerable enough to be loved, and at the same time brave enough to love other people, even when I didn't feel like I was qualified to give anything. So I started talking more and getting a little more involved at church and with my other friends.




I worked it out with my school to take a month off, and had just two weeks to finish before my break started. Enter Jonathon. When he asked me if we could date I said, "Yes, but it might be hard when school starts again, I've never tried dating and school and work all at once before. Are you okay with that?
"It's okay," he said. "I know all about school." And he did. We survived the first 2 or 3 awkward months of trying to get to know each other and do school. Eventually things got better and less awkward. And more fun. Jonathon is a goofball. :D
Sometimes we do homework together. Is a homework date a thing? It is for us. And yes, believe it or not, we do actually get homework done...There are a few perks to being in your late 20's and dating.



This is Jon and I with Ethan, a little kid we sometimes spend some time with. 



Heather and I at our church youth conference. Heather, Jon, and I were youth leaders. It was a really good experience and everyone had fun.


 A recent picture of Jonathon and I.

It's been a good year. So much has changed, but I think all of the change has been good.






Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing that Vicki, I praise God with you! Keep loving Jesus. He makes all things new. I'm sure you are finding that out more and more each day. blessings, Shilah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed hearing more about your life! :-) Thanks! Someday we are going to have a family reunion and see y'all all again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, I'm happy with you! There is nothing like the love of a good man to get you through life :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do it again!

The one about spider webs, faith, and banana peels

Like A Duck In The Rain