Imperfect Worshippers

     A couple weeks ago our discussion in church centered around this question: are you a worshipper? And if you are, why?
     I've been thinking about that off and on ever since. Our family discussion after church led us to the conclusion that we are imperfect worshippers because although our hearts are open to God in every way that we know how to be, He is always asking permission to take over new parts of our hearts and lives that before were unclaimed or claimed by things other than Himself.
      This is so much what my journey has been, all along. What do I value, and why? What do I bring as my offering to Him and why do I bring it? Over the last three years everything that I have deemed valuable or worth something has been tried and tested in more ways than I can count. Sometimes the only thing that I feel that I can bring  to Jesus is my mess and the choices that I make everyday, be they good or bad.
     Another thing that I have been thinking and learning about is God's glory. In Exodus when Moses begged God for a glimps of His glory, God's answer to him was, " I will make all My goodness pass before you and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious and will show mercy to whom I will show mercy." If God's glory is His goodness - His utter and complete goodness, that's like, wow! That's huge! That He knows us as we are, and is merciful to us even while we mess up and place value and worth on things that are not valuable, that He anticipates our humanness and is gracious, that He delights in the offerings we bring to Him and where we are wrong He lifts us up with a glimps of His glory, that is redemption right there! This is salvation everyday, in everyday life. The exchanges we make everyday with God where we come bringing what we are, and whatever is in our heart through the choices we make, through our relationships with others, and in our prayers - that is worship. Delighting in and planning on the goodness of God because of what Jesus accomplished on the cross, is worship. My choice to get up and be on time to get to work is worship because I'm valuing what He values. My choice to forgive and be kind when someone says something hurtful  is worship and is also my chance to show someone else His glory by expressing His goodness to them through my life. And on the days when my emotions drag along behind my choices, when I hurt inside and I'm a mess, when I bring that to Him at the cross and we make an exchange - His hurt for my healing - that is worship. It's all done in relationship, and that is what I love most about God. He values lives. He values hearts. That is where He chooses to show His glory most often, in His goodness toward us in restoring our hearts and lives.
                                                                   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do it again!

The road home

The one about spider webs, faith, and banana peels